Saturday 25 May 2013

Little Mule Cycle and Co. Cafe

19 Somerset Pl 
Melbourne, VIC 3000




Melbourne is a strange child. I went to Little Mule Cycle Co & Cafe expecting a sandwich, and I ended up getting just that, except it was in a bicycle repair shop. In all fairness though, the name really should have tipped me off. That and the fact that it’s located in the same laneway as Captains of Industry, the place you want to be if you need a haircut and some lunch, but only have time for one.



We headed in and perched ourselves on a narrow bench, but pretty soon a child-sized table freed up, so we slithered over to sit there instead. The menu at Little Mule is as straight forward as it gets – melts, sangas (sic), baguettes, as well as a handful of cafe staples and a chalkboard of daily specials. And needless to say, coffee, because we’re in Melbourne. 


Malted Chocolate Milkshake ($6.5)

I had just finished a long gym session, so I had earned this Malted Chocolate Milkshake ($6.5). I loved the metal cup and barbershop straw, and the milkshake was everything it should be – thick, frothy and sweet. 


Ham, Gruyere, Fresh Tomato and Relish Toasted Sanga ($8.9)

Faced with a delicious selection of lunch items, including artichoke melts and jerked chicken, Chris predictably chose Ham, Gruyere, Fresh Tomato and Relish Toasted Sanga ($8.9) instead. But you know what? I ain’t even mad. This great cafe classic overflowed with oozy cheese, ham, and slices of fresh tomato. It may have been simple but as I’ve learnt by now, ‘not yummy’ is the last thing simple equates to. 


Avocado Toast ($9.5)

My Avocado Toast ($9.5) was faultless. It was heaven in the form of silky folds of avocado fanned out over crusty sourdough toast, simply garnished with sea salt, cracked pepper, and a healthy glug of olive oil. The avocado was fresh as can be, the butter-yellow slices just ripe enough to be firm yet decadently creamy. This once again proved that often, simple is best.

The meal we had at Little Mule was very simple, but left us very satisfied. Sometimes it’s good just to have a straight-forward, solid menu, taking away the stress from choosing what to eat. The service is a bit slow, but the relaxed pace felt just right. Little Mule doesn’t try very hard, and I mean that in the best way possible. 



Rating: 13.5/20 – relax, take it easy.

The rating reflects my personal experience at the time of visit.

The Little Mule Cycle Co. & Cafe on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I went here for coffee last year, and really enjoyed the small and cosy atmosphere! I didn't even notice they had sold sandwiches, and little eats. This place is such an adorable and unique place! Gotta love Melbourne, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was the coffee any good (of course it was good it's Melbourne)? Melbourne is so lovely; I recently went to phillip island for 3 weeks to do placements and there was absolute nothing there, so I think we're really lucky to be living where we are :)

      Delete
  2. So good post and deicious pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by, I'm glad you liked it! :)

      Delete