Tuesday 16 October 2012

Yogurddiction

Various Locations
Melbourne, VIC
 
http://www.yogurddiction.com.au/


Food tastes better when it moves. From snapping up that last basket of chicken feet at yum cha to picking salmon sashimi off the sushi train, there’s nothing like the adrenalin rush of beating someone else to the plate you’ve both been eyeing. Cheap thrills, I know. But you know what tastes better than food that moves? Food that moves, outdoors. And with street food becoming increasingly prominent in Melbourne (Amen to that!), more and more budding entrepreneurs are throwing caution to the wind and investing in a concept that was still fairly obscure in Melbourne a few years ago – the food truck. 


Yoghurddiction is a newcomer to the food truck scene. Headed by Jason and Elle, this candy pink, sugary cute van roves around Melbourne, selling tasty frozen yoghurt with a myriad of toppings. Following a cheery email invite, we decided to pay them a visit on a gorgeously sunny and hay-feverish day.



A line formed immediately after the van was set up, so we were free to study the menu as we waited our turn. There’s an extensive variety of toppings; chocolate even had its own category, which is something the chocaholics will definitely appreciate. From what I’ve heard, there’s a dozen or so rotating flavours of yoghurt, and the ones on offer today were original, raspberry, and pomegranate.


Original Frozen Yoghurt with Lychee Boba and Crushed Oreos
Original Frozen Yoghurt with Lychee Boba and Crushed Oreos

We were handed a Regular ($4) sized tub of original frozen yoghurt, topped with my choices of Crushed Oreos and Lychee Boba ($1 each). I had an almost dessert-like banana and caramel yoghurt with my oatmeal this morning, so this would have to be seriously good to match up to that. I was not disappointed. The froghut was thick and creamy, and importantly, not too sweet, allowing the natural yoghurt flavours to come through. I loved the textural contrast between the cold, smooth yoghurt, crunchy oreos, and the delightful popping sensation (and subsequent burst of lychee) of the boba. We gobbled it all up even before we could find a place to sit down.

Yogurddiction is a shiny new badge on the Melbourne food truck scene. It’s refreshing to see generous portions for the price you pay, especially in this world of ‘$5 for a scoop of gelato’. The large tub, costing just $6, is more than enough for two people to share. The truck constantly moves from location to location in inner-city Melbourne, but they seem to oscillate between Barkly Square (Brunswick) and Monash University (Caulfield Campus) a lot. For full details check out their site; all the best Jason and Elle!

Rating: 13/20 – frogurddiction


Sweet and Sour Fork dined... er, ate frozen yoghurt as a guest of Yogurddiction.


Yogurddiction on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

  1. Yum! I love froyoooooo, I'm going on a froyo hunt this weekend haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the froyo, can't wait to see your reviews!

      Delete
  2. Froyo is amazinggggg! I stuffed myself silly with it in the US where it's a lot cheaper than here.

    Can't wait to try Yogurddiction out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Australia is so expensive for food unfortunately. I'm going to Malaysia with my friends soon and I heard froyo there is cheap and plentiful so I'm going to have mine topped with lychees and mangos! Every day!

      Delete
  3. It does look like a very cute food truck indeed. There's nothing more exciting than eating those bobas, man I loved them when I found them at Monga...must go on a froyo hunt now~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the boba, it's like dessert caviar; the only thing more exciting is popping candy! Do you have a favourite froyo store?

      Delete
  4. Stumbled on your blog haha, I want to get into Pharmacy.. maybe... though I have no idea what I want to do yet! But reading books & eating would be the best job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for stumbling by! I do spend most of my time eating and reading books anyway, but fair warning about the pharmacy campus - the library has no fiction books!

      Delete
    2. Aww that sucks!! I'm thinking of Pharmaceutical Sciences too... so still the same campus LOL. Would actually love to meet you one day, hopefully!

      Delete