Sunday 31 July 2011

Ed's Food Hut

399 Bourke St Shop 11 @ The Foundry Food Court
Melbourne, 3000


Food Court Blogging. As much as the food snob in me tries to deny it, there are actually some hidden gems scattered amongst the mediocrity of food courts. Previously when I have craved vegetarian food, I’ve always made a beeline for Gopals or Crossways. So you can imagine how excited I was when I heard that Ed’s Food Hut does a fantastic vegetarian platter – the food snob in me can live with the food court location!

Vegetarian Platter ($8)

I love variety, and I think my heart literally skipped a beat when I saw what the vegetarian platter ($8) consisted of – 3 salads, 3 dips, a falafel, a vine leaf, pilaf rice (rice cooked in stock, wiki tells me), and Turkish bread. There were about 6 salads and 8 dips to choose from, and all of my salads (chick pea, potato, tabouli) were wonderfully fresh, especially the tabouli – vibrant and green with none of those brown wilty bits. The dips were equally as good. I chose hummus, eggplant, capsicum, and spinach (the nice lady offered me half-and-half when I couldn’t decide between the last two). They were all full of flavour, especially the capsicum, which offered a lovely burst of capsicum goodness, and the yoghurt-like eggplant was surprisingly good with tabouli. The falafel was moist and non greasy, and the vine leaf was also yummy. I was extremely impressed with the pilaf rice; gently flavoured, I’d be happy to have a bowl of it for dinner.

Turkish Bread (With Platter)

And Turkish bread! In a cute little basket!

Small Lamb Kebab ($6.5)

And because he has to have meat (sigh), Chris got a small lamb kebab ($6.5), which was definitely not small. A Turkish roll stuffed with shredded lamb, tomato, lettuce, onion, and garlic sauce, it filled him up nicely. And if you happen to have a bigger appetite, feel free to ask for the large kebab for just $2.5 extra.

Rating: 14.5/20 – best vegetarian platter



Ed's food HUT on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment